Popular Posts

Emerald City Art Piece


I have another fabulous blog to share with you today... 
restlessrisa
Risa has a fabulous crafty, mom blog full of simple and beautiful ideas.  She's been sharing her fabulous ideas at For the Kids Friday Link Party, and today she is here to share as my guest!  I am thrilled to have her, and I hope that you take a moment to stop by and see what amazing things she's doing over at her blog.


Some of my personal favorites over at
restlessrisa...

  
 

1) Halloween Advent Calendar      2) Back to School Party (Books/Reading)
3) Back to School Party (Fried Worms)                         4) Travel Kit Tutorial


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Hello, and THANK YOU RACHEL for having me today. I am honored and thrilled to be here guest posting on my favorite family fun blog!
A little about me... I am a wife to one great husband, and mom to 3 sweet kids. I love being a stay-at-home-mom, and hope I can bring a little magic and wonder into my kids lives. I love holidays, family vacations, birthdays and just every day. I do what I can to make things special and memorable for my family.

This is the family before we welcomed our newest addition 9 months ago.

We need to take a new family picture - I know, but this will have to do for now.


This week, I had a Halloween late night/party for both older kids. In four days, I will be hosting a girlfriend (mom only) Halloween party for some of my closest friends. The theme is Wizard of Oz. I have asked each guest to bring a food item. I will have four tables set, one for each food category.

The categories are:

1) Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion,
2) Munchkin Land,
3) The Emerald City,
4) Good and Bad Witches.

I have decorations for each table, but was having a hard time coming up with what to do for The Emerald City table.

We were all just sitting around this morning, and I decided to enlist the kids help for making an Emerald City art piece. They were THRILLED! They have been very excited for my party, and like to see what I have planned.


SUPPLIES:

1 piece foam board ($.99 at the dollar store)
Elmer's glue Scissors Paint and brush Paper

{I used 3 different colors each
for the yellow brick road (3 sheets),
the poppies (5 sheets),
and The Emerald City (3 sheets)}


First, turn on Wizard of Oz music in the background, and sing along.

My favorite song lyrics from The Wizard of Oz:
It really was no miracle,

What happened was just this.
"The wind began to switch.
The house to pitch.
And suddenly the hinges started to unhitch.
Just then, the witch
To satisfy an itch
Went flying on her broom stick

Thumbing for a hitch."


Tear the edges off all the papers, and tear them into strips.
Pester your sister, and try to take the paper away before she is finished tearing it.

Then tear the papers into smaller pieces.
Cut out the shapes you want to for The Emerald City. I stapled them together on the bottom (where it would be covered by paper) before gluing them to the foam board, so it would be easier to attach.

Paint the foam board.

Draw the yellow brick road, and get started!

I put the glue down, and let the kids stick the papers on. They LOVED it!


This project was super easy, and inexpensive. It took less than an hour, and the kids were so proud of themselves that they got to make a decoration for my party!
My daughter told me she wants to have a Wizard of Oz party for her next birthday. I might just keep everything from this party, make life easy on myself, and use it for her party! In the next few weeks, I will be sharing the rest of my Wizard of Oz party on my blog. Please stop by any time. I love visitors! www.restlessrisa.blogspot.com

Have a Happy and Creative Day!

Risa

No comments:

Post a Comment