Popular Posts

Vowel Headbands

Today I am featuring J from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational.  Let me tell you... if you are ever on the hunt for fun, educational games and activities for your little ones, you MUST stop by her blog.  She has a wealth of ideas that you and your kids will love.  I always look forward to the ideas she shares at For the Kids Fridays, and I am thrilled to have her here sharing with us today.

Some of my personal favorites over at
Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational...






    
1) Friend Vs. Foe (Beetle Tic-Tac-Toe)
2) 10-Pin Addition      3) Glow-in-the-Dark Addition)     4) Brown Bag Game


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Hi, I'm J from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational, a blog I created to share sneaky activities for supplemental learning. The activities I do with my 6-year-old son after school are inspired by the questions he asks, challenges he faces, and his never-ending curiosity. I hope you'll stop by sometime to see all the fun we're having (and all the things my son is learning)! I'm thrilled to share this idea on the Sun Scholars blog, one of my favorite resources for fun kid-inspired ideas on the Internet. Thanks Rachel, for the opportunity to guest post!


A few weekends ago, several families met friends at a lake for the weekend. One of the moms brought the game Headbandz
for Kids
, which the tween girls had a blast with. Watching them play was a
real inspiration.

I’ve been looking for a clever way to help my son practice
vowels. The headbands were it!

For this activity you need three main supplies: cardstock, five
square post-it notes, and five index cards (or cut up cardstock). You’ll also need a stapler and
black marker.

Write each of the vowels (a, e, i, o, u) on a post-it note;
make sure the sticky part of the note is on the bottom. Stick these to the
index cards.

Cut the card stock into strips (between an inch and 1 1/2-inches
wide). Staple the strips of paper together to make a headband the size of your
child’s head.

If your child does not know the vowels from memory, print
them on a piece of paper so they can refer to it as they play.

Next hold the vowel cards and ask your child to select one
without looking.

Peel off the sticky note and tack it to their headband.
Provide clues like the sounds the vowels make (depending on your child’s
knowledge of phonics, the short vowel sounds will be more challenging). Also say several words with the vowels in them. 

If your child is like mine, you can literally tell when the light bulb goes on. My son practically lit up when he'd figured out which vowel was on his headband. After each guess, I had him remove his headband to check his answer.


If through process of elimination your child guesses the
last vowel, ask them to tell you what
sounds that letter makes and what words it’s in.

This headband activity would be great to practice phonics
too. Because sometimes the best way to get letters engrained in your child’s
head, is to put them on their head.http://deceptivelyeducational.blogspot.com/2011/07/friend-vs-foe-beetle-tic-tac-toe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment